WDO and World Packaging Organisation have launched a two-week virtual World Design Challenge to take place from 24 May – 4 June 2021 to rethink and redesign sustainable packaging. Focusing on solutions that are food-safe, easy to use and with a low environmental footprint, participants can expect to work on one of the following challenge statements:
- How can we design sustainable packaging solutions for e-commerce?
- How can we redesign packaging that reduces consumer food waste?
- How can we develop sustainable solutions to food service delivery packages to reduce packaging waste in particular with online food ordering and delivery platforms, as well as meal kit providers?
- How do we design sustainable packaging for healthy and on-the-go lifestyles?
- How can we improve packaging sustainability in communities where no collection systems are in place?
- How can we develop packaging that is child-proof but easy to open for the elderly and those with physical vulnerabilities?
- How can we change/engage consumer behaviour to help increase sustainable habits such as recycling, reusing, upcycling, composting and reducing food waste?
Expected outcomes of this initiative are to include shareable design-led solutions that can be extended to both packaging industries and other sectors as a way to encourage waste prevention, engage and educate consumers and foster more sustainable business models.